TEXT LAYOUT & BOOK COVER DESIGN
The bottom line is: the more time
and work that you put in your end, the less you will
have to pay others. With
the book design however, we recommend getting your manuscript
to a final error-free draft format, and leave the experts
at Self Publish Australia to 'flow' your text into our
pre-formatted templated designs. Prices start at $300AUD for interior book layout & design, from $300AUD for book cover design - we will customise a quote based on your requirements.
Read more about setting
up your manuscript correctly here.
Some self publishers have sufficient knowledge to supply
us with a print-ready PDF. This will indeed save quite
a bit of time and some money, but in our opinion, is only
worthwhile if either
a. it is professionally designed by
a graphic design specialist / typesetter OR
b. a small personal project where saving
money is paramount, quality secondary.
Cover design is particularly crucial for the
aesthetic appeal of the book. Yes, your book WILL be judged
by its cover, so it is very important to allocate the resources
it deserves to achieve a great looking book cover and internal text design.
BOOK PRODUCTION OPTIONS & TIPS
How many books should I print!?
The more books you print, the cheaper per unit it becomes. How many books can you see yourself selling in two years? To give you our 'loose' rule of thumb regarding the economics of book publishing costs vs return;
- On a print run of say 100 books (our minimum), once selling all books at full retail price, you may get your print costs back.
- 250 books and you will get be able to pay for some or all pre-press costs (design/typesetting) as well as the printing, and may turn a profit.
- 500 books, you will need to sell approximately 300 to breakeven,
1,000 books you will need to sell approximately 400 books to breakeven.
Generally speaking, our production is firstly dictated
by how many books you will order. Below 500-600 books
it is more economical to print on our high-end DIGITAL
PRINTING PRESS. Printing digitally, there is minimal
set-up costs involved, but every printed sheet output
has a standard 'click charge' which doesn't reduce when
printing large volumes.
Once you get around the
500+ book mark, offset printing becomes
viable. The main advantage of producing books printed
OFFSET, is a wider choice of paper and of course cost per unit is significantly
OTHER BOOK PRINTING SERVICES
We can supply various other services to help your book look and feel fantastic
• Metallic foiling of book cover
• Section sewing or notch binding
• Embossing / Spot Varnish of book covers
• Matt or Gloss lamination is standard for all book covers
Case bound hardback books are produced one by
one using manually intensive processes. Thus price per
unit will not reduce as significantly when ordering higher
volumes*. They are best suited as premium promotionals or gifts.
* The exception is if more than 1,000 hardback books are required, then we can provide economical bulk partnered printing solutions - contact us for details.
Click here for further details about full colour casebound photo books and children books.
back to top